An early project for Hocker Design Group, the historical preservation of architect Charles Stevens Dilbeck’s 1946 Belmont Hotel serves as the catalyst for much of the continuing work along the Fort Worth Avenue corridor in West Dallas. The original site was carved to create ledges along a limestone escarpment that provided perfect views across the Trinity River Valley to Downtown Dallas beyond. A new pool and lawn area were nested along the front edge of an expansive ledge to capture the best view of the skyline possible. The current iteration of the site restricts automobile access to better create outdoor recreation and landscape opportunities. This is achieved through a series of courtyards and connections surrounded by native and adaptive plantings that better complement the architecture providing hospitable destinations.
Architect: Sally Johnson & Carole Twitmyer